DJ Express. The online home for CO 4713
THE ONLINE HOME FOR CO 4713 MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM
editor in chief / instructor of record : wendy roussin, mfa

Christopher Dougherty. Communication: Print and Digital Journalism or Broadcast and Digital Journalism

In my current professional background, I have become a creative videographer. This job has given me the privilege of delving into the world of videography through internships with Mississippi State athletics and The Sunbelt Conference. These experiences have allowed me to hone my skills in capturing moments and stories through the lens of a camera.The decision to pursue Broadcasting was driven by my deep passion for creative video and camera work. This field offers me the opportunity to explore and express my creativity through visual storytelling. I also am just a fan of anything camera related, so when I first stepped into broadcasting, it was quickly a perfect fit. I remember one of my earliest classes being with Professor Chris Misun, and he made me realize that I had definitely made the correct choice with broadcasting.

Chris
Just me creating content
/>What I love most about my chosen concentration of Broadcasting/Video is the constant knowledge I gain. Every project, every shoot, presents a chance to learn something new, whether it's a technical skill or a deeper understanding of the subject matter. I feel like in this specific focus, there is always something new you can get out of it. So every day I try my best to find a new angle to fully understand and see something from a new perspective.

One memorable project that stands out for me during my time in my concentration was when I had the chance to create my own short video stories. What made it special was the inclusion of some of my fraternity brothers in the project. It not only showcased my skills but also allowed me to include some of the people I was very close with, it really was a joy to create throughout the whole entire process. I felt like a director of a movie, it was one of my favorites that I have ever made.

When it comes to my favorite, I am fully drawn to video production. The ability to convey a story through visuals and capture emotions in motion is what pulls me the most. I have done creative videography since my senior year of high school, so it is a huge passion of mine. Throughout my years doing it, I have learned that there are just so many ways to tell a story and capture different feelings of emotion. There is just always room for improvement, and I want to continue to grow in that craft..

In this class, I am particularly interested in learning more about writing. I see it as a complementary skill that can elevate my video production capabilities. Effective storytelling, both written and visual, is a powerful combination. A video alone can be impactful, but when you include great dialogue with subtle sound effects, it can burn into your brain. I want to be able to effectively write, and I believe this course can help me improve in that.

Looking ahead, my career plans revolve around becoming a creative videographer within college athletics. I have always worked with sports, as my creative videography reel showcases mostly all sports across our campus. It is just what I have the biggest passion for, and I truly could not see myself doing anything else when I graduate. The dynamic nature of college athletics provides so many creative opportunities for you to tell the story of a team. I think that can be the most impactful thing for fans falling in love with a team at a university. Slowly starting to feel like they know the guys or girls, just by getting to learn about them through visual storytelling.

Another big thing I want to get ot of this class is to learn how to smoothly incorporate multimedia content into my journalism throughout this semester. As a videographer, I understand that a script can catch attention, but also being able to slot multimedia content in the right section of an article or website is extremely important. This would help me excel in my future of creative video and creative content, even possibly having me branch into new job opportunities and fields.

The video above is a great example of what I do in my day to day life, and what I intend on doing for my full time job. In this specific video, I wanted to try and capture the highs and lows of the game, highlighting things like big touchdowns but also highlighting the downpour of rain that night. Pulling the reader in with emotion and commentary is essential with long form videos like this, and I feel as if it was one of my more succesful projects in a long time. In the end, creating these videos is like blending tech skills with a knack for getting fans pumped up and connected to their teams – it's a wild ride that turns you into a better storyteller.

Creative video and multimedia journalism are two things that consistently go hand in hand. I want to be able to be sucessful in both realms, and understand how to master these crafts as one. By honing my abilities in both creative video and multimedia journalism, I aim to not only navigate the complexities of modern media but also to elevate the impact of my storytelling, bridging the gap between captivating visuals and the depth of journalistic inquiry. It's in this intersection that I aspire to create content that informs, inspires, and leaves a lasting imprint on the viewer.

In conclusion, my journey in Broadcasting and Video has been a fulfilling exploration of creativity, learning, and collaboration. I feel as if my concentration has been a great place for me to grow and has truly taught me the world in just seven semesters. As I embark on this class, I eagerly anticipate expanding my writing skills to complement my passion for video production, with a clear vision of this helping my script writing skills with future opportunities.

Email me at cmd750@msstate.edu with any questions