DJ Express. The online home for CO 4713
THE ONLINE HOME FOR CO 4713 MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM
editor in chief / instructor of record : wendy roussin, mfa

Elizabeth Tomlin. Communication: Print and Digital Journalism

Since I was a child, all of my talents and interests have revolved around talking. In elementary school I was always in trouble for being too talkative. I remember being a primary news source for some of the teachers in my after school program. All I ever wanted in life was to be listened to.

Fake
Headshot for The Reflector (2021)
Now, as a slightly bigger and much taller child, I have found somewhere to put my racing thoughts where people may listen, the newspaper. Whether it's the opinion, life or news section, I am more than happy to interview interesting people and share my thoughts about a topic with the world.

For a while, I put this idea aside and I set out to work in politics where I could talk and people would be forced to listen. It wasn’t until I randomly decided to work for the student newspaper, The Reflector, that I truly found my passion for writing and interviewing. I always thought that journalism was a dead art and I wasn’t going to make money. However, as the world changes from paper documents and handwriting essays to a technology based system, new opportunities are just around the corner. 

Since writing at The Reflector, I have picked up communication as a second major in addition to political science. My concentration is print and digital journalism, which I chose because I am much more comfortable writing than being on camera. I attempted to pursue broadcasting my first semester as a communication student, but I was lacking in camera presence and knowledge of technology. I struggled with properly using the filming equipment and I found my camera presence to be dull.

I love my concentration of print and digital journalism because the community is welcoming and the opportunities are endless. I was able to complete an internship at the Commercial Dispatch because of my connections to the communication department. I truly loved my time there and have been able to apply my learning from my classes into a real-world reporting environment. 

One of my favorite projects I have done for class was my article on mass incarceration in Mississippi that I wrote for my Advanced News Writing class. I was able to interview experts on the subject along with someone who was personally affected by mass incarceration in this state. I learned so much about the topic and I enjoyed sharing the stories of the people I interviewed. I also put a lot of effort into this project and it felt good to see it come together in the end. 

My favorite aspect of my major is writing. Although photography is interesting, I prefer to interview people and tell stories. I think I am more talented in writing and it is easier for me to organize my thoughts that way. As stated earlier, I am the least interested in the video aspect of journalism. I am simply not good at it and too easily frustrated to worry about the equipment needed to film. 

I want to learn various skills and techniques that are essential for producing compelling and informative multimedia content. This includes mastering the art of storytelling through different mediums such as text, audio, video, and images. I'd like to understand how to effectively use multimedia tools and platforms to enhance my storytelling abilities.

Specifically, I would like to sharpen my technology skills so that I can produce a working story that includes all aspects of journalism. Furthermore, I want to learn how to stay updated with the latest trends and technologies in the field, as multimedia journalism is dynamic and constantly evolving. Learning how to adapt to different storytelling formats and platforms, including social media, would also be a valuable skill in today's fast-paced media landscape.

As my college career comes to an end and my journalism career begins, it is important for me to have the foundational skills of multimedia journalism. I hope to be able to harness my love for journalism and apply it to the lessons and assignments I have in this class. I am excited for the semester to come and I hope to learn valuable lessons that I can bring with me in my next stages of life.

Email me at egt86@msstate.edu with any questions