DJ Express. The online home for CO 4713
THE ONLINE HOME FOR CO 4713 MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM
editor in chief / instructor of record : wendy roussin, mfa

Cadence Harvey. MSU's Promise Program

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, economic inflation has been a hot-button issue throughout the United States. Four years later, inflation rates have yet to fall back to what they were before the pandemic. According to the USDA, economy-wide inflation increased 0.6% from February 2024 to March 2024 and has increased 3.5% from March 2023. With inflation on the rise, many Mississippians are continuing to fall below the poverty line.

Cadence Harvey; author

For students of these families, Mississippi State University offers a tuition-assistance program known as the Promise Program which is offered to incoming freshmen and transfer students who come from economically challenged backgrounds. This program is designed to fulfill MSU’s role as The People’s University by bridging the gap in tuition for students in need.

Xavier Ford, known widely to students as Professor X, serves as assistant director to the Promise Program. Ford stated that rising inflation may be the cause of an influx of eligible Promise Program students.

“Currently, we have noticed a spike in students that are eligible for the Promise Program,” Ford said. “However, we are unsure as to the reason for the spike. It could possibly be the rising inflation, the FAFSA simplification changes.”

With the program’s current recruitment plan, a minimum of only 60 first-year students are selected for the Promise Program each year.  To be considered eligible, a student must be a Mississippi resident, enroll at MSU as a full-time student, have a high school GPA of 3.0, have at least a 19 or higher ACT score and complete the necessary scholarship, FAFSA and student aid applications on time. Eligible students are contacted by Promise Program faculty and are then invited to continue with the interview process.

Ford spoke to the importance of having a program such as this on MSU’s campus.

“Many students that attend State fall within the poverty line and many struggle to figure out how to financially attend Mississippi State,” Ford said. “The Promise Program provides more opportunity for recruitment and retention for Pell-eligible students to have a sense of hope of being able to pay for college with the financial scholarships that the Promise Program provides.”

Ford went on to describe the positive impact that this program has for underprivileged students at MSU.

“The impact that I have seen from the Promise Program is amazing. We have students that have studied abroad, ran for presidency of the Student Association, involved in multiple student organizations and are on executive boards of the organizations, and even Spirit of State Winners,” Ford said. “At the same time, I have students that have pursued their career dreams. We have students working genealogy, lawyers, architects, higher education, entrepreneurs, and so much more.”

Tonka Davis, a freshman aerospace engineering major from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, spoke to how the Promise Program has aided in their transition into college.

“I am a first-generation college student, so I knew that I was going into something I’ve never seen before and have never talked about. I wouldn’t say they held my hand, but they did give me an extra step up in becoming a student here at MSU,” Davis said. “I would say that college would look very different without them. I would have to take out student loans, I wouldn’t have any of the friends I have now, and I wouldn’t know anything about the resources and support on campus. Without them I’d be lost.”

The Promise Program ensures that incoming students are equipped with all of the knowledge and resources needed to succeed on MSU’s campus. Davis expressed their appreciation for this along with the other niche skills that the Promise Program has taught them.

“They helped me find all the resources at MSU that are available to me,” Davis said. “About three weeks ago, they taught me dinner etiquette to use if I were meeting with a potential boss or at an important dinner. That’s something I never would have known without them.”

MSU’s Promise Program requires that Promise students take classes during their first year at MSU to help ease their transition into college. These classes help students learn how to apply study skills to their coursework, develop lifestyle skills and teach students about career skills and advancements. The Promise Program also offers several events for Promise students to familiarize themselves with faculty and other Promise students and recognize each student for their hard work and continued success.

Joshua Britt, a senior information technology services major and fellow Promise student from Nesbit, Mississippi, attested to the success of the program’s classes.

“Because of the support that I received through the Promise Program, I found myself in complete control of my responsibilities within my first semester,” Britt said. “The skills I learned as part of the required LSK course taught me everything I needed to know to stay on top of my education and remain dedicated to my studies. I was encouraged to join student organizations and spend my time wisely, which turned out to be the best advice I have been given while attending MSU.”

Britt went on to be heavily involved with student organizations on campus throughout the rest of his college career as a member of Student Affairs, online editor and eventual editor-in-chief of The Reflector and as former vice president of MSU Esports.

Britt went on to express his gratitude for the endless support of the Promise Program’s staff.

“I received phenomenal support from Promise Program staff from the time that I stepped onto the campus,” Britt said. “While I had a freshman navigator and advisor, I also had a promise program navigator and advisor, and that provided immensely needed support that set me up for success in my time at Mississippi State.”

Davis echoed this statement, mentioning Ford specifically.

“Dr. Xavier Ford and Jolanda Thompson have both taken me under their wing. Since starting college, they have been there for me every step of the way.” Davis said. “If I had the chance, I would bring all of them together and thank each and every person for what they do and all that they have done for us. There were so many people eligible for the program and they could only choose so many of us. They easily could have not chosen me.”

Davis spoke with immense gratitude about the positive impact that the Promise Program has had in their life.

“When I found out I was accepted into the program, it was like a big relief overwhelmed me,” Davis said. “I felt like I found my people. They’ve provided so many resources for us and if I have a question, I know exactly where to go. I know I have a place to go.”

Email me at cmh1189@msstate.edu with any questions

View my sources here.