DJ Express. The online home for CO 4713
THE ONLINE HOME FOR CO 4713 MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM
editor in chief / instructor of record : wendy roussin, mfa

Cooper Morreale- Mississippi: A Beautiful State Hurt by Dated Infrastructure

My Experience On the Roads Of Mississippi

Over my last four years here in Starkville, I have come to love the beautiful state of Mississippi. I spend nearly every day here in awe of the landscape that the state has to offer. Whether it be the massive fields of crops near Mississippi State’s campus, the swamps and hiking trails of the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge, or the many small but unique towns of the Golden Triangle area- Mississippi is a place where I have been able to truly find beauty and happiness everywhere I’ve been. The terrific people, scenery, and sense of community have made it easy for a native Tennessean like myself to become very comfortable and happy living here.

My Morning Commute

Throughout my time here as a student, I have developed a love for routines. Without mine, I would be lost in this world. Each day I wake up at around 6:30-7 in the morning. I stretch, have a few sips of water, grab my backpack, and leave my girlfriend’s place early- with my schedule of 8:00 a.m. classes, three different jobs, and social life, it’s important for me that I hit the ground running early on in my day. It takes about 13 minutes to get from her house to my apartment complex next to campus.

Within my meticulous routine, however, lies one key annoyance that arises with me each and every day of my life. I spend around 4-5 minutes of my morning commute going through a wide range of uncomfortable emotions. Stress, a slight amount of frustration, and confusion fill my mind rapidly as I leave the neighborhood. The roads between my girlfriend’s house and my apartment is an adventure to say the least. I don't claim to be the most well traveled, but this road is one of the worst roads I have ever had the chance to drive on. Countless potholes, loose gravel, and terrible patchwork to try and mitigate the issue have made it so that every morning I grip my steering wheel with a grip so strong it could be compared to an Amazonian boa constrictor.

I was driving on this road the other morning questioning almost everything about it. "How long has it been since this road was last paved?" "Is anything being done to change this anytime soon?" "How many tires have popped out here?" and many other questions emerged in my mind, as this isn't the only road in the area like this. There are many more like it here in Starkville, West Point, Columbus, or really anywhere I've been on my travels throughout the Magnolia State. As I begin to look at my future after graduation I have noticed that I have developed a real connection to the state of Mississippi. I want this magnificent place to be enjoyed by everyone as much as I've enjoyed it, and I worry about what the state's infrastructure looks like. Many city and county roads are in dire need of renovations all over, and after seeing little to no change in the 7 years I have been visiting or living in Starkville, I believe change needs to be made.

Here are some pictures I've taken of damaged roads in Starkville  

This isn't breaking news though, as the infrastructure and roads throughout the state have consistently been in the bottom percentile of the nation. According to an article posted by WJTV News back in February, Mississippi has a big problem on its hands. WJTV reported, "Just over three-quarters of roads in Mississippi were in acceptable condition in 2000; now, 73.8% are." and that "The state also has the most fatal car accidents per capita with a rate of 26.2 deaths per 100,000 residents." With statistics like that, it's evident that there is a big issue on the state's hands. People's lives are in danger driving on some of these roads, and 25% of the state's roads should not be in unusable condition; that is a substantial amount of the state's total infrastructure.

Thankfully though, work is being done to try and solve this statewide issue. According to the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT), the government has provided them with a significant amount of money to fix the state's infrastructure crisis. MDOT reported that "The Mississippi Legislature funded state infrastructure projects through the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) at a historic, high level in the 2023 Legislative Session... MDOT’s $620 million supplemental appropriation will be allocated as follows: $450 million for capacity projects, which are construction projects that add lanes and/or build new roadways and $100 million for the Emergency Road and Bridge Repair Fund (ERBRF), which provides funding to revitalize local roads and bridges across the state" It's a relief to see that money is in fact headed towards this issue- many roads in the state seriously require renovations and many areas could use new roads as a whole. The work MDOT is set to do with this $500+ million investment from the state will benefit all Mississippians.

As MDOT and us residents of Mississippi move forward, it'll be nice to go without any bumps in the road.

Email me at acm1017@misstatement with any questions